Guidelines to Beginning Therapy
How to Begin Telephone Therapy
Individual Telephone Therapy sessions are 60 minutes. All sessions are prepaid prior to the appointment day.
Initially, a 60 minute consultation is all that is needed to assess the problems at hand and plan a course of action. Sixty minute sessions are $90.00. Additional follow-up sessions are available and sometimes recommended.
Scheduling an Appointment
Appointments are to be scheduled by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and paid in advance. On the day of your appointment you will call our office at (403) 3907970 at the scheduled time – no sooner or later. Remember, your session begins at that time. If you are late, that part of your session time will be lost. If you need to reschedule, we require a 24 hour cancellation notice.
Before Entering Therapy
An Initial Autobiography is Required
Before entering therapy, a provide a 3-5 page autobiography is necessary. This screening tool provides us with an excellent opportunity to study your circumstances before your first session and get right to the point – saving you time and money (see below). Please mail or email the document so that it is received prior to your first session.
On paper, please describe in as much detail as possible:
• Tell why you are seeking help at this time of your life.
• Describe yourself, your family and present life situation.
• Give as much detail as you can concerning the circumstances surrounding childhood, your birth, medical issues; where you were born and raised; important relationships such as parents, siblings, grandparents, etc.
• Include your childhood, teenage and adult years – with its love relationships, engagements, marriages, breakups, divorces, deaths, losses and gains.
• If difficulties concern a minor or significant other living at home with you, please include as much information about that person too. When did the behavior begin? Were there any events in his/her life that triggered its onset?
• Give a brief occupational history and include descriptions concerning moods, anxiety and personality. Also include data concerning alcohol and substance abuse, smoking, and medications that you are presently taking.
• Give a description of your cultural and spiritual background and history, if any. What religious or spiritual methods have you practiced or used?
**Please keep in mind that an autobiography submitted prior to your session saves you time and money. Having your information on hand before therapy begins jumpstarts your progress and guarantees that your initial session is not spent gathering historical data.